Sunday, June 13, 2010

Doing the "D" word

I've been upset about my weight for a while. But I'm just now at the point where I feel I can deal with doing something about it. I don't know how to explain it....I guess you just have to be in a certain mindset to tackle it. And I suppose trying on bathing suits helped push me there. I see myself naked every day, but, I don't know, this did it for me, I guess.

I hesitate to use the word "diet," because we all sort of view that as a constant state of denial. And I don't think that works. We all have things we love to eat, and we have to be able to incorporate them, somehow, into our regular lives. Otherwise, we go insane. Really, our "diet" is just the things we eat each day. So, I'm not *going* on a diet. I am going to *change* my diet.

When I did Weight Watchers, I did the "core" program. Basically, there is a "core" set of foods of which you eat any amount, to satisfaction. You also have a weekly allotment of Weight Watchers "points" to use, and anything not on the core list, you have to use points for. Core foods are, basically, fat free dairy, lean meats, whole grains, beans, all veggies and fruits, diet drinks, and several condiments, etc. I use my points for things like *real* butter, regular cheese, and a glass of wine here and there. I also used to have a Weight Watchers ice cream treat just about every night. I think I will need to stock up on those, since I really do have a serious sweet tooth. (Sweet treats are the "thing" I *have* to be able to have.) Having that ice cream bar was always a wonderful way to end the evening after the kids had gone to bed. And guilt-free, at that.

It's a simple way to eat for me. Not much counting or tracking. I did really, really well on it, and I was actually eating out at lunchtime quite a bit. I had my staple menus at QDoba and Panera, and life was great. I have a new set of challenges now, one of which is just *getting* to the grocery sometimes. But I just have to work at being a little more proactive.

I'm starting off slowly. I have a busy week, preparing for the convention, then going there. I can't make a huge grocery trip when we'll be gone Thursday thru Monday. But I have adjusted a few recipes to fix this week, and making them mostly, if not all, "core." I am going to work at making mostly healthy choices this weekend at the convention. (Hey, we are allowing ourselves one "nice" meal out, and I may allow myself dessert at that meal.)

Day by day, right?

No comments: